We don’t normally do breaking news coverage, but I’ve been off of work for the last week, and my girlfriend and I just finished watching Season 2 of Touch, so I don’t have a whole heck of a lot going on. Those of you watching football today saw what Peyton Manning just did in the Broncos’ Week 17 matchup against the Raiders. Not only has Peyton extended his single-season record by throwing four more TDs to put his 2013 season total at 55, he’s also 25-28 on the day for 266 yards. Those 266 yards are good enough to give Peyton 5,477 passing yards of the season, which puts him one yard ahead of the former passing yards record of 5,476 yards, set by Drew Brees back in 2011. Oh, did I mention it’s halftime?
Now, the Broncos have already clinched everything they need to clinch (assuming they hang on here), and they’re up 28-0 at the half, so I doubt we’ll see Peyton again the rest of this game, so he’ll probably finish the year with these stats. This is, in my opinion, the best single season performance by a QB in NFL history. He’s broken the two most important records for the position, and there’s a good chance that TD record is going to stand for a long time. Without a doubt, Peyton has earned himself a fifth MVP Award this season.
As for future records, Peyton needs just 6,975 yards and 18 TDs to pass Brett Favre to become the career leader in both of those categories. He’s probably only going to get to one of those next year… unless he goes completely crazy. Either way, at that point, I think it will be safe to say we’re looking at, statistically anyway, the best QB of all time.
Featured image courtesy of: Getty Images
- New York Giants Free Agency: So Far, So Good - March 10, 2017
- Forgotten Titles: WWF World Martial Arts Heavyweight Championship - January 18, 2017
- Wendi Richter, The Fabulous Moolah and the MSG Screwjob - January 11, 2017
- Forgotten Titles: The WWF Women’s Tag Team Championships - January 5, 2017
- Forgotten Yankees: Curtis Pride - January 1, 2017
- Neville Is Saving the WWE Cruiserweight Division - January 1, 2017
- Little Pieces: Yankees Sign Ruben Tejada - December 12, 2016
- Should the Yankees Shop Masahiro Tanaka? - December 7, 2016
- Take Some Time to Celebrate: Yankees Sign Matt Holliday - December 6, 2016
- Let’s Talk About Rich Hill - November 27, 2016