Last week, we talked about a spicy little rumor that Barcelona was trying to avenge Real Madrid’s theft of German international Toni Kroos by turning around and stealing James Rodríguez from their chief La Liga rivals. It turns out that Real has had the last laugh afterall, as the Champions League Cup winners have verbally agreed to sign the Colombian superstar on a £63MM transfer. For those of you in ‘Merica, that’s $107MM. Let’s see how this affects things.
No one should be really all that surprised by this move. First of all, James made it clear a few weeks ago that playing for Real Madrid would be a “dream come true.” I can’t think of too many recent athletes who have stated their goal was to play for a different team than they were currently on, who didn’t immediately end up on their dream team. Can you? Of course not. Secondly, Real and Barça were the only two teams that could realistically afford him, and the boys at Camp Nou only allegedly wanted James for the 2015/16 season, and not this year. Thirdly, when Real Madrid has its sights set on a player, it’s going to be tough for anyone to outbid the club that was recently named the most valuable sports franchise in the world. Thirdly, tell me James doesn’t look like a little Cristiano Ronaldo. Both are supremely talented pretty boys with impecably combed hair. I wouldn’t quite call James Ronaldo’s mini-me, but it’s pretty close.Real already have the big version, might as well add the ‘lil version, right?
Anyway, assuming this report is true, the only thing left to speculate on is where James is going to play once he arrives at Estadio Santiago Berrnabeu. One big rumor that has been floating around is that Argentine international Ángel Di María is on his way out of Real–possibly to French giants Paris Saint-Germain–to help supplement the James purchase. If that’s true, James would join Kroos and, of course, the great Ronaldo in Real’s attacking midfield, with Welschman Garreth Bale and Frenchman Karem Benzema up front. Yikes.
Featured image courtesy of: Fotofootball.com
- New York Giants Free Agency: So Far, So Good - March 10, 2017
- Forgotten Titles: WWF World Martial Arts Heavyweight Championship - January 18, 2017
- Wendi Richter, The Fabulous Moolah and the MSG Screwjob - January 11, 2017
- Forgotten Titles: The WWF Women’s Tag Team Championships - January 5, 2017
- Forgotten Yankees: Curtis Pride - January 1, 2017
- Neville Is Saving the WWE Cruiserweight Division - January 1, 2017
- Little Pieces: Yankees Sign Ruben Tejada - December 12, 2016
- My Thoughts On Aroldis Chapman - December 10, 2016
- Should the Yankees Shop Masahiro Tanaka? - December 7, 2016
- Take Some Time to Celebrate: Yankees Sign Matt Holliday - December 6, 2016