I’m not actually going to pay tribute to the former Patriots DB who Bill Belichick surprised everyone by trading to New Orleans, back in 2003, but with the sudden trade of LB Jamie Collins, it seemed as good a way as any to start a piece that is likely to be more random, and cleansing, than usual. Here goes…
“He traded who now?” Was the basic reaction that just about everyone in Patriots Nation got on Monday when they heard that Collins had been traded to the Browns for what seems to be very little. I suppose we should not have been quite so shocked that his name was added to a list of Pats suddenly moved that includes Deion Branch, Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Randy Moss, Logan Mankins, and Asante Samuel, as well as the previously mentioned Jones. There is usually a one of two reoccurring themes evoked in such situations that usually involves the key words “money” and “value”, with the phrase “Best for the team” thrown in there as well. I suppose we should not have been taken totally by surprise as there are more and more reports that Collins, in the last year of his rookie contract, wanted “Von Miller money” and that negotiations were not going well. New England needs to sign both DB Malcolm Butler and LB Dont’a Hightower, so you have to believe this will free up some money to help accomplish that. When you factor in that they’ve been stock piling defenders such as LB Kyle Van Noy from Detroit, and CB Eric Rowe from the Eagles, then I guess we should have been expecting something. The 7-1 Pats are currently on their bye week and will face a road weary Seattle team at home after that. That should be one of their last big test for a while, providing Belichick plenty of time to sharpen the defense up for the playoffs. At least I hope so…
“Apparently, not so foolproof after all.” Has been the reaction lately of a great many observers and critics of the NFL, as it, under the “leadership” of Roger Goodell, has stumbled from one blunder to another, embarrassing itself, and adversely effecting its viewership. You have to wonder about the moral compass of an organization that punishes a quarterback for four games for “tampering” with the game balls, but then only suspends a player for one game for physically abusing his wife. An action made all the more absurd coming so soon after it had been so roundly criticized for handling a similar incident in the exact same matter. It’s a league that will fine it’s players thousands of dollars for celebrating excessively, but won’t penalize a player for taking a cheap shot at one of its young stars. It’s an organization that will make a big production out of wrapping itself in patriotic themes, but then charge the Military to participate in pregame activities. But for me the most offensive thing they do is to make a big show out of their month-long fund raising for Breast Cancer research, but then only actually donate 8% of the money raised to research. I understand that there is expense involved but why do I have the feeling that the greedy owners write that off as a tax exemption, while still pocketing much of the remaining 92%. I’m not sure where Patriots owner Robert Kraft falls in the greedy scale of things, but at least he built his own stadium. Granted, he required some concessions from the town regarding infrastructure, but, again, at least he built his own stadium.
“Can the NFL Stop Trying to Make London a Thing?” I was going to include in my rant against Goodell and the NFL, something on why I thing a team in London is a bad idea, but Martin beat me to it. So if you haven’t done it already, go and read Martin Stezano’s piece from October 23, on this topic and then get back to me.
There will be quiz.
- The “Roger That” Edition - February 28, 2017
- The “Nice Ring To It” Edition - February 3, 2017
- The “Shaken, Not Stirred” Edition - January 17, 2017
- The “Malcolms in the Middle” Edition - January 11, 2017
- A “Catching Up, Following Up, and Weighing In” Edition - December 31, 2016
- The “Cannon and Flowers” Edition - December 21, 2016
- The “Farm, for Sale” Edition - December 10, 2016
- The “Tebucky Jones Tribute” Edition - November 13, 2016
- The “World, Serious” Edition - November 1, 2016
- The “Easy Come, Easy Go” Edition - October 18, 2016